Sunday, January 11, 2009

Does this post taste a little aquamarine to you?

A few moments ago I sat down at the computer to prepare for this week's progress update blog post. I still had Google Reader up on my screen, so I took a moment to review a few of my RSS feeds. In there, I found this article, which I thought you might all find interesting in relation to the Mind facet of our challenge. I've always been intrigued by those who mentally experience concepts in very different ways than I do. To be able to associate an image, sound, feeling, smell, taste or color with a word or number is an very interesting concept. I associate tastes with colors, but that seems to be the only crossover of senses that my brain experiences. Well, actually... now that I think about it... I also associate shapes and textures with emotions. And numbers... they do have a "feeling" that goes with them, but I don't know how I would describe it.

I'm curious now... leave me a comment and let me know if your mind has associations that might seem unintuitive. Don't only think about ones that you might have already noticed. Take a moment and think about the number three, and compare how you feel when you think about the number four.

3 comments:

  1. Three is definitely much more loose than four, four feels solid, like it has some good structure to it, more like a hearty stew than a broth, perhaps. If four was a color it would be black, or a strong earthy brown, and three would be blue, the blue of the summer sky. Or so it seems to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Running through this in my mind I came up with

    #1 white? lonely, starting, beginning, ending?
    #2 fleshy colored, tan, maybe yellowish, a base meaning for balance
    #3 I think of orange, slightly hot, fast, efficient, widdled down to the absolute neccesity, sharp, a little dangerous
    # 4 brownish, earthy, warm, full and balanced, happy,
    #5 I think blueish, celestial, like 3 but with 4 added to it, like 3 but with the ability to heal and repair itself. I have no idea what that means but its just what came to mind

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spellbound: I'm intrigued by your descriptions of 3, 4 and 5. There are Freemasons that believe that the numbers 3, 4 and 5 hold special meaning. Within the degree of Master Mason there is even a reference to the 47th problem of Euclid, which is commonly known as the Pythagorean Theorem. Given this context, I have seen the numbers defined as:

    3: Osiris/Spirit
    4: Isis/Matter
    5: Horus/Man

    Quoting from http://www.luckymojo.com/47thproblem.html...

    "Matter" (4) lays upon the plane of the Earth and "Spirit" (3) reaches up to Heaven and they are connected by "Man" (5) who partakes of both qualities. Or, alternatively, Isis the Earth-mother (4) is horizontal, Osiris the ithyphallic father-god (3) is erect (!) and Horus their son (5) extends between them and reunites them.

    Given this new context, I would agree that 5 is exactly like 3 but with 4 added to it!

    ReplyDelete